In January 2013 we finalised all agreements regarding the Norwegian Research Council grant regarding the MalTrials project: Combining indoor residual spraying and long-lasting insecticidal nets for preventing malaria: Cluster randomised trial in Ethiopia.
This note presents an update on the progress of the planned work:
- Ethical clearance: We have applied for ethical permission to start the project, and we hope to get these permissions in July.
- Once we get permission from Ethiopian authorities, we plan to start some pilot studies on:
- Map the areas, and identify potential hot spots for malaria transmission
- Select three kebeles (about 30 Gares, villages). We shall measure the incidence; find out the variation in incidence between the villages. This will enable us to calculate the correct sample size for our trial.
- Start some entomological studies.
- We have recruited three PhD students:
- Taye Gari (epidemiology)
- Alemayehu Desalegn (Health economics)
- Oljira Kenea (Entomology)
- We plan to start the main malaria trial in early 2014.